Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Cloth diapering it!
So, I have decided to go solely with cloth diapers. It is definitely cheaper (though a big upfront investment) and it's way better for the environment (and our pocket books since it takes up room in our garbage can and we are only allotted so much trash before we have to start paying extra...$4.50 per bag!). Tangent: we pay over $200 every 2 months for water, sewer, and garbage! It's a set amount of water (so if we use less, we don't get money back, but if we use more, we pay more). Insanely expensive I tell you....end tangent! So, today I ordered 9 more cloth diapers and a toilet sprayer to wash the yuck off them into the toilet. Yes, it did cost a pretty penny...but, again, it's an upfront cost. I already have 13 cloth diapers, so I figure that this will be our stash and we'll be good to go without needing to wash them every day and a half (plus, I finally got Kaylee some pink ones!). We shouldn't have to buy diapers again at all unless we want to use them for traveling purposes. I am excited about this! The average person uses about $1500 in diapers by the time potty training comes around. The cloth diapers cost us a total of $400 for all of them. For those that can't do the math ;-), that's a savings of $1100!! That's for one child too! Assume we have two children. We have already spent the $400 initially and we don't have to buy any more...which saves yet another $1500! The savings continue to grow with the amount of children one has....yes, eventually the diapers may need to be replaced, but still....such a great investment! Plus, I really actually like them! They're not as gross as I originally thought they would be and they look sooooo cute on!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I am proud of you! It really is not gross...what's gross is the CRAZY amount of disposables you would be going through otherwise! Let me know if you need any pointers or help getting Clay totally on board--Geoff loves them and changes probably just as many diapers as I do!
ReplyDeleteMy mom used cloth diapers with all of us kids, and it's amazing how much money you save! I don't think it's gross at all- it's the smart thing to do!
ReplyDelete